Fabio Babini secured pole position in the #22 MIK Corse entry for round four of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series at Brno, Czech Republic, on 21 May 2010. Babini set a strong lap time early in the session before handing over to team-mate Giorgio Bartocci. In the closing stages of the session Babini got back behind the wheel and improved his fastest lap time to 2:04.482 to claim pole position.
2009 Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo Pro Drivers’ Champion Babini launched the #22 Lamborghini Super Trofeo race car straight to the top of the timesheets with a fastest lap time of 2:04.547 in drying conditions early in the session. The first driver to get close to the Italian was Mirko Venturi in the #46 Black Bull Swiss Racing entry, having set a fastest lap time 0.327 seconds adrift of Babini.
With seven minutes left of the session, local driver Erik Janiš in the #99 Charouz-Gravity Racing entry improved his time to 2:04.783, knocking the #46 off second place.
In the closing minutes, Babini got back behind the wheel of the #22 MIK Corse race car and clocked a time of 2:04.482 to secure pole position. Current leader of the Pro Drivers’ Standings, Dutchman Kox, set the second fastest lap time of 2:04.582 in the #24 Blancpain Reiter Engineering car, with only a minute left of the session. The top three was competed by Erik Janiš, whose team-mate Petr Charouz will start Saturday’s race piloting the #99 entry.
“I’ve managed to work closely with MIK Corse and we’ve developed a very good set-up,” said Babini. “I’m very pleased for the team and for my team-mate Giorgio [Bartocci], who will start on pole tomorrow.
“The balance of the car is very good and we could have gone even faster if we hadn’t been caught in some traffic. After a difficult start to the season in Hockenheim, we’re aiming for maximum points in Brno.”
Round four of the 2010 Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo will start at 13:00 (CET) on 22 May at Brno, Czech Republic, partnering the newly-formed FIA GT1 World Championship.
Qualifying – provisional results
1. Babini/Bartocci (#22), MIK Corse, 02:04.482
2. Hayek/Kox (#24), Blancpain Reiter Engineering , +0.100
3. Charouz/E. Janiš (#99), Charouz-Gravity Racing, +0.301
4. J. Janiš/Urban (#77), Charouz-Gravity Racing, +0.353
5. Venturi/Maino (#46), Black Bull Swiss Racing, +0.392
6. Leimer/Navarro (#63), Autovitesse, +1.038
7. Amos (#69), Touringauto, +1.355
8. Bellini (#3), Bonaldi Motorsport, +2.224
9. Lemeret/Barker (#2), Automobili Lamborghini, +5.553
10. Invernizzi (#23), Black Bull Swiss Racing, +7.242
11. Pronk (#76), Blancpain Reiter Engineering, +8.510
Stovicek (#88), Charouz-Gravity Racing
Sanna/Green (#1), Automobili Lamborghini